Swim Lessons on the Road




One of the hard parts of being on the road is we usually are not in one location long enough to attend lessons, clubs, or joining a team. But, this winter we were going to be in one location for 2 months. It was time for the kids to learn to swim. 

The three older kids had taken lessons at the local YMCA but still were not confident in the water. I love to swim and Dustin can swim. It is such a value, life long skill I made this my goal for the winter. I thought I was in FL it would be easy to find a lesson for them to attend, no problem. But, quickly I learned it was not going to be as easy as I thought. There are no indoor public pool in the area we are in. Therefore, this task took a little more planning and getting creative.  I was fortunate enough to find the perfect fit for us. 


We hired Catherine from Whole Life Fitness for Private Lesson, here at the RV Park. She not only taught the children but she taught me how to teach the kids to swim.  The rules, attitude, and confidence she brings to swim lessons was a delight. We all learned so much. The kids are more confident in the water, I have a whole new perspective of bringing 4 kids to the pool, and water safety in general.  I was a life guard for 3 years but her approach to water and water safety is enlightening. 

Pool Rules: 
#1. Never Swim Alone 
#2. No Running
#3. No Chewing Gum 

Things I took away from the class: 
#1. Treat the pool and water in general as your only focus when you are there. No distractions- no cell phone or umbrella drinks . You are responsible for your child's safety - period. 

#2.  Buy bright colored bathing suits. They are easy to see if there is an emergency. 

#3. Always bring a noddle with you. The new safety guidelines are "Reach, Throw, Row, but Don't Go." If someone if struggling in the water don't jump in to save them. You need to stay safe yourself. It is often the one trying to save the person who is in trouble who actually has the fatality. 

#4. Although, puddle jumpers are great. They are not going to teach your child to swim if they fall into the pool without the puddle jumper on. 


We always look to work with people who are passionate about what they do.  Thank you Catherine and Whole Life Fitness for sharing your passion. 



Comments

Popular Posts